Friday, May 14, 2010

Zuppa e Fagioli/Patate

"Too Salty, just didn't like it. I even washed it with water first." That was yesterday at work, complaining about a Air Dried Salt Cured Country Ham I bought on the Internet from a famous Restaurant in Georgia.

What could I do with it besides throw it out? My friend Scott Goeringer, an executive chef, gave me a great suggestion. Beans and potatoes would soak up the salt and leave that smoky flavor. He also suggested leeks. 

Today is my day off and I am inspired to run with Scott's suggestion. I didn't have leeks in my refrigerator, but I did have an onion. Maybe it was the can of Cannelini Beans in my cupboard, but Italy memories started swarming through my mind. On one of my Italy trips, I saw a cook, throw a good jigger of red wine into her soup. Checking my liquor cabinet, right there in front was a great bottle of Porto wine. Port is a little sweet with still the robust flavor of red wine. Going with an Italian theme, garlic, tomato, basil leaves and a tiny bit of dried rosemary floated through my mind. 

Since I don't measure anything, I'm guessing these measurements are about right. 

Note: Don't add the wine, basil and rosemary until you are just about to serve the soup. You soup will stay fresh and the flavors won't be lost. 

Keep that spoon handy and taste often! Enjoy, I sure did. Thanks, Scott.






Zuppa e fagioli/patate
Inspired by Scott Goeringer
1/2 medium Onion diced
1/2 Red Pepper diced
1 cove of Garlic, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
A couple of pieces of Smoky Ham or Bacon
Saute until onion is translucent

 Add:
1 Red Potato, peeled and diced
1 Tomato skinned and diced
1 can drained Cannellini Beans
1/2 teaspoon of "Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base"
Water to cover ingredients.
When potatoes are cooked, remove ham or bacon and throw away.
Add:
1 oz Porto Wine
Chiffonade a about a dozen Basil leaves
tiny bit of dried Rosemary


1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you try this soup and if you like it! Thanks for reading, Dawn

    ReplyDelete